Very disappointed in Destiny. *long* *TL;DR included* (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 18:41 (3543 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Interestingly, I found snipers in The Crucible to be far far less problematic than in any Halo. Both on the giving and receiving side!

In Halo, especially on the bigger maps, a good sniper could easily ruin your day because there was no good defense. In Destiny, any sniper was highlighted by a red targeting light before he fired, which helped me evade, and if he got me I wasn't stuck with a short or medium range weapon and no vehicle at spawn. I could ALWAYS switch to my high zoom Scout Rifle or Sniper Rifle if I needed to. A large part of my frustration with Halo snipers was they had an almost absolute advantage unless I caught the one weapon respawn on the one side of the map I was safe on. Destiny's bring your own weapon, spawn your own vehicle setup really empowered me to fight back against snipers. I very much enjoyed it.

During the entire beta I was only really pinned down by a camping sniper once... A guy stayed up on the spawn point between B and C on the Venus map which allowed him to fire into part of the B control point. He took me down a couple of times before I realized what he was doing, but I had the tools I needed to fight him. I probably died another couple of time but it never felt unfair in that "oh there's a sniper up on the ridge on Blood Gulch who I simply cannot touch" way that Halo sometimes did.

And on the offensive side, having a few rounds of sniper ammo per respawn got me to use a sniper rifle more. In Halo I'd always leave it for someone else because chances were SOMEBODY was a better sniper than me and there was only one rifle to go around. In Destiny I did my fair share of sniping because the game empowered me to do so. I still prefer a midrange primary / close range secondary setup, but sniping was an option for me in Destiny where it usually wasn't in Halo.

As for the rest, I largely disagree. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread