Very disappointed in Destiny. *long* *TL;DR included* (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 10:12 (3547 days ago) @ yakaman

Regarding customization: I believe Bungie only showed a tiny taste. Shaders, exploration, new gizmos, whatever.

What I have been hoping for doesn't seem likely to happen: that either individual players or, failing that, clans can customise their emblems. That doesn't seem to be something they have in mind for Destiny, having been dropped in favour of pre-built emblems that you can unlock.

That's vastly inferior to the logo system of all the Halo games since Halo 2 in my opinion, since players are constrained in two ways: the options they have available to them (a smaller range, since most options need to be unlocked), and the options they actually like. I understand the desire to make some options unlockable (cosmetic rewards as well as item upgrades), but I'd have much preferred something similar to Diablo 3's banner system: you have a palette of design components from which you can create your own emblem (like the Halo series) but various components are unlocked throughout the game, for achievements mostly.

I'm interested to see how the shader system will work, but I'm slightly concerned that limited availability of the rarer shaders combined with personal preference will result in a shallow range of actual appearances. The beta felt very identikit with players of each class all looking more or less the same. Time will tell if that is true at release too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread