The Rest. (Destiny)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, August 08, 2014, 19:04 (3543 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm going to cut all of the bits about the story. I did not complain about the story, I don't have enough information to judge it either way. I was merely disinterested because the gameplay was bad, I even said flat out that I thought the opening cutscene was really cool.

Also, I don't know who this Tyrion person is.

Peter Dinklage plays Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones. My Ghost's name was Tyrion.

Meh. I think you rationalized away the Destiny unit’s protections. Fallen Captains are very much like Elites.

Right, except the Captain's shields don't matter much since you always have a power weapon.

Hive Knights can form an invincible shield.

Yes, and it heals them, too. Although, I can always one-shot them on account of the power weapons thing.

I expect the Cabal units with big shields to act somewhat like Hunters, and who knows what the Vex do.

Exactly, we don't know how they'll be. That's why I only complained about the Fallen and Hive.

Are there a couple more units in all of Halo than in the Destiny beta that require a second step for an easy kill? Perhaps. But you’re blowing that small difference way out of proportion.

It's no small difference, every enemy in Destiny (at least Fallen and Hive) is most efficiently fought the same way. Every enemy in Halo had something about them that made them unique, and mixed up the combat.

The Beta was limited to a low level cap and what seemed to be tutorial level missions. It seems foolish to judge the entirety of Destiny by it, just as one wouldn’t judge all of Halo by its first level.

It was more about how enemies acted. I could just sit back and shoot their heads to win, in every situation. They never rushed me or anything like that (except Thralls, but they're so weak that they never even got near me). They would sometimes take cover, but that didn't matter since they would keep poking their heads out and letting me shoot them.

At the very least you can shoot off the four shot blue pulse launcher. Doesn’t completely address your boss complaint, but… well woe to those that use the term “only option.” :)

Right, and that's good. Imagine though if shooting off that pulse launcher angered it and it started chasing you. Then you have to shoot the legs while avoiding shots until he stumbles, allowing you to shoot it in the power core on its rear. Or, you could jump on top of the tank, shoot off the hatch, and toss in a nade. Killing the occupants (assuming there are occupants). Wouldn't that be way more fun than shooting his legs for 15 minutes?

This one I agree with a bit. But then I also don’t want the world permanently depopulated by the fireteam in front of me.

In a story mission, there are no fireteams in front of you. I did say they should respawn in explore, just maybe not as much.

I’ve seen enemies taunt when they’ve shot me off a sparrow. Lower class enemies will often flee and hide if you beat their handlers. Are their emotions less obvious? Of course, it’s pretty hard to beat “Leader dead! Run away!” I think the emotional states of surprised, afraid, taunting, etc are present, however. I’m going to have to play more to really get a feel if they unit’s individual actions are under exposed or not grand enough to notice. It is possible that they are…

I was never taunted, and I think some of you guys are confusing taking cover for fleeing. It would be cool if they could speak broken english to taunt you or beg for mercy.

I agree there should be more options. I think the way it was in the beta is an ok default, especially for a T rated game.

Like I said, as long as there is a quick and easy way to mute people or turn it off altogether, I don't see a problem.

Yeah, completely disagree here. I’ve already gone into why. To quickly repeat though, there is a massive difference between a player succeeding where they shouldn’t and someone outplaying you. The first would be someone killing you via a glitch, or bug, or cheat. The second is them being better at Destiny than you in that particular encounter.

I deserve to die if someone out-snipes me, or if I get out shot in a one on one battle. Or if multiple opponents are sticking together and get the jump on me while I'm alone.

I do not deserve to die because somebody's free kill meter is charged, and I happen to be in the area.

Don’t get shot from behind? Ok, that’s a bit tongue in cheek, but it’s a different game. In my experience, in that I frequently used Scout Rifles or Hand Cannons for my primary gun, I had to use about the same amount of aiming as I do in Halo with a DMR. Perhaps a bit more since the enemy could kill me quicker with their Auto Rifles. A missed shot by me was probably a bit more disastrous in Destiny than in Halo… I guess I’m not seeing the lack of emphasis on aiming that you are…

With a higher time to kill, people have to keep their aim on target longer to get kills. It takes more skill to do so. Lower time to kill means individual aiming skill is less of a factor in who wins an encounter.

I agree. This may become a problem. The “don’t take A” thing was already being used during the Beta… As discussed before, I don’t think you having unlimited sniper ammo is that big a deal since Destiny gives your enemies tools to better avoid, approach, and engage you.

In Destiny I was almost unstoppable. I had unlimited sniper ammo, and even if I was killed, I'd be right back at it 10 seconds later. In Gears or Halo, I first have to earn my guns by fighting for control of where they spawn. Then I get 10-12 shots. If someone kills me, then now they have the gun, and it's my job to get it back. When the ammo runs out, everyone has to wait a couple minutes before the gun respawns, then we fight over it again and the cycle repeats.

I didn’t have quite the problem with the Interceptor that others had, but admittedly this is because I chose a “Run away! Run away!” strategy at all times.

Smart move.

The aiming shape I think referred to its proximity fuse. In the full game Interceptor pilots will need to be more accurate because the missiles will be less likely to airburst near enemy Guardians.

That makes sense. A good decision, then.

My guess is something close to the health tiers model. The Interceptor seemed to gain a player’s shields, but damaging one especially severely did seem to help the next person take it out even if it had time to recharge.

In campaign though, any damage the Sparrow took was permanent. That could be different in multiplayer.

What you call broken I call a different game. Supers did charge significantly faster if you captured points and got kills to the point I think I got supered twice by the same guy in one match before my super was ready, so there is a positive reinforcement to playing well and using the supers well. If one Super had dominated I would have had a problem but I thought they came out surprisingly well balanced to each other all things considered.

Okay, I guess they can be balanced against each other. That doesn't mean they're balanced with the rest of the sandbox.

If that’s your attitude then I’m glad you aren’t buying the game. What’s a good strategy and what is appropriate or sportsmanlike are two very different things. Yelling and tea-bagging are unacceptable in my book. Period. (Using the dance emote in Destiny is just fine however)

Hey now, I don't do it. I'm not going to deny that it's a sound tactic, though.

As others have said, color options were in the Alpha (apparently) and will be in the final game.

That's good, but, people complained about having to unlock emblems in H4. This is a whole new level!

Red vs. Blue began with a crosshair on the hud, didn’t it? I would be fairly surprised if Bungie did not include some helpful things for machinima though. We’ll see I guess…

Red vs Blue was started in the infancy of machinima, though. I don't see that going over well these days.

Again, I think silence is a good default, especially when some think angering other players is a good strategy.

In campaign? Running into random people could be awesome. Swap war stories, tell each oter about hidden items, whatever. If you don't like them, mute them. Or... challenge them to a crucible match right there in game! If they accept, it takes your parties right to a private game where you can fight it out.

I do hope for alien weapons. Even the alien guns are named in the kill cam so it’s possible they are player usable. Also, I disagree with the guns being the same. The special abilities of the higher level guns looked to really be able to mix things up. Just in the beta I had a revolver that reloaded in half the time or less if I emptied its magazine. I got some extra kills because of that. Other guns could do additional damage, or regenerate ammo, or maintain stability, or quicken one of your cooldowns, and those were the simpler guns. The really high end stuff were getting pretty crazy with their abilities and often had more than one.

I really would have to see how much variance these high tier weapons have, so no comment. As for the examples you listed, that's just not enough. Think about the difference between a plasma pistol and the needler. Or the shotgun and BR. THOSE are different guns to me.

Overall, I think this was a pretty disappointing review of the beta by you. You start with a purposely grating attitude in unfairly criticizing the story. You then move into the "they didn't deserve that kill" mindset which I highly disagree with. Some of your complaints were also uninformed like being able to customize colors. And to top it off you admitted that you think angering teabagging players is acceptable behavior. You have a handful of good points. Halo probably does have more expressive enemies. The rollback of the non-core feature set like Theater is disappointing but in my opinion you did not make up for your intentional lack of maturity.

Maybe with the context I've provided here you'll enjoy it more.

In then end, if you really stand by some of the things you said, I think it is a good thing that you plan to stay away from Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread