Very disappointed in Destiny. *long* *TL;DR included* (Destiny)

by yakaman, Friday, August 08, 2014, 06:57 (3549 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

That was a good read. Some general thoughts:

Regarding everyone (potentially) having snipers and (relatively) unlimited ammo: I wonder what effect this will have on big, open maps. Will such a map even be viable? Consider Valhalla from Halo, but if everyone could choose Snipers. Would anyone ever have anything else? No mid or long range skirmishing, just sniping.

Regarding MP quick deaths: I wonder how much emergent complexity (i.e. counters, buffs, etc) might be found over time. I hate dying cheaply, and I did a lot of that in the beta crucible. But I wonder if it would be a different story if I had a bulked-up warlock with damage reduction buffs or something.

Regarding it being too easy for you: agreed. My impression was that great players (i.e. you, not me) will vastly outpace even good players, leading to lopsided matches wherever they go. Combine 2 or 3 great players in a party, and abandon all hope ye randoms who enter the Crucible.

Regarding customization: I believe Bungie only showed a tiny taste. Shaders, exploration, new gizmos, whatever. Not saying that invalidates your concerns, only that I need a bit more exposure.

Regarding vehicles: I was ambivalent in general, but hated them with a passion in MP. The pike was fine for getting from point A to B, but the vehicles in general lack personality.

Regarding the enemies: Overall, I enjoyed fighting the AI, though I do recognize the repetitive nature. Killing them generally felt good to me, but remember, I'm not the player you are. Sometimes I wonder if your skill and experience work against you in this regard. Additionally, I hope that like customization and exploration, Bungie was greatly limiting exposure to the baddies.

Regarding the general nature of story: Underwhelming, for a start. Much has been made of lack of narrative, and I cannot disagree. Again, hoping that the real game will have more, and that the story will be emergent over time. After all, Halo had one story running on top, but a far more interesting one running below - one that only came into focus (for me) after I stumbled into HBO.

You had a number of good change suggestions, especially in regards to transforming bosses and co-op nature of vehicles. Overall, I found your article to be enjoyable, insightful, and reasonable.

I will be getting Destiny, primarily for the co-op story mode with my friends. But I believe MCC and H5 (hopefully!) will be serving my MP needs going forward.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread