Very disappointed in Destiny. *long* *TL;DR included* (Destiny)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 20:24 (3542 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316), Thursday, August 07, 2014, 20:43

Interestingly, I found snipers in The Crucible to be far far less problematic than in any Halo. Both on the giving and receiving side!

I don't see how.

In Halo, especially on the bigger maps, a good sniper could easily ruin your day

The same could be said for Destiny. Except that in Destiny there could potentially be 6 good snipers ruining your day.
That couldn't happen in Halo or Gears because you have to earn your sniper rifle, and there's only ever two in play at one time. Plus you have pretty limited ammo. 12 shots in Halo, around 10 in Gears. In Destiny, you have effectively unlimited ammo, being that special ammo is so common.

because there was no good defense.

That's just wrong. You could get in close by staying out of the sniper's sightlines. Or suppress their sniper so that yours can take him out. Load up a warthog with a hit squad and take him down. There's plenty of ways to end their reign of terror in Halo or Destiny. The difference is that you have to earn the gun in Halo, meaning you'll have to deal with enemy snipers or shotgunners far less often. The sniper you work so hard to eliminate in Destiny will just respawn five seconds later and get back to work.

In Destiny, any sniper was highlighted by a red targeting light before he fired, which helped me evade,

So you have to see them first? Good luck. That sure didn't help my victims. All you're ever going to see is the top of my head, and if I see you, you're done.

and if he got me I wasn't stuck with a short or medium range weapon and no vehicle at spawn.

So there was no penalty for death? All men should be created, and respawned, equal. Keeps things fair.

I could ALWAYS switch to my high zoom Scout Rifle or Sniper Rifle if I needed to.

Without having to earn it. And so could everyone else. This floods the map with power weapons, instant death at every turn! If Halo was Chess, Destiny is whack-a-mole.

A large part of my frustration with Halo snipers was they had an almost absolute advantage unless I caught the one weapon respawn on the one side of the map I was safe on. Destiny's bring your own weapon, spawn your own vehicle setup really empowered me to fight back against snipers. I very much enjoyed it.

Exactly, the game allows you to beat your opponent even if you aren't as good as them. That's extremely frustrating when you should be beating someone, but the game lets them win anyway. The better player will win any even fight, but there rarely is one.

During the entire beta I was only really pinned down by a camping sniper once...

If true, you either didn't play much, or were luckier than Master Chief.

A guy stayed up on the spawn point between B and C on the Venus map which allowed him to fire into part of the B control point.

A spot I'm very familiar with.

He took me down a couple of times before I realized what he was doing, but I had the tools I needed to fight him. I probably died another couple of time but it never felt unfair in that "oh there's a sniper up on the ridge on Blood Gulch who I simply cannot touch" way that Halo sometimes did.

You could touch him though. If you're smart, and work with your team.

And on the offensive side, having a few rounds of sniper ammo per respawn got me to use a sniper rifle more.

That's just strategy though. Whoever is best on your team with any weapon or vehicle should take control of it. That'll help the team more.

In Halo I'd always leave it for someone else because chances were SOMEBODY was a better sniper than me and there was only one rifle to go around.

Strategy.

In Destiny I did my fair share of sniping because the game empowered me to do so. I still prefer a midrange primary / close range secondary setup, but sniping was an option for me in Destiny where it usually wasn't in Halo.

Stick with what you know. Practice other disciplines in campaign. Master them. Bring them to multiplayer. As a great man once said, "Bip, Bap, Bam!"

As for the rest, I largely disagree. :)

Care to elaborate?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread