The Rest. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 08, 2014, 20:55 (3548 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

It was more about how enemies acted. I could just sit back and shoot their heads to win, in every situation. They never rushed me or anything like that (except Thralls, but they're so weak that they never even got near me). They would sometimes take cover, but that didn't matter since they would keep poking their heads out and letting me shoot them

In the first mission Thralls did indeed rush. In the strike Dreg, cloaked Vandals, and Shanks would all rush at various times along with a mini-boss level Captan. There's also some knife only Vandals out in the world of Old Russia. During the Spider Tank public event I was fighting it alone one time and got nicely flanked by both Shanks and Vandals to the point I was hoping help would arrive to bail me out. On the Moon the Fallen did a decent job of entering the first complex and coming after us and at the Temple of Crota it was one big rush as several enemies spilled out to greet us. (While awesome music blared!)

Maybe you just didn't play enough or didn't set the difficulty high on the Strike?

I do not deserve to die because somebody's free kill meter is charged, and I happen to be in the area.

One. it is not a free kill meter. Nova Bomb has a limited range and is dodgeable. Fist of Havock has roughly the range of a grenade requiring someone to get next to you to use it. Golden Gun has around a ten second window of opportunity and puts a lot of pressure on its user to make every shot count. Powerful? Yes. But really not much more so than having a sniper or shotgun with you at all times. With the recharge on the Super you can and will almost certainly do more damage with your special weapon that you will your Super during a match.

Two. You weren't playing Halo. You were playing Destiny. The rules are different. The game is different. Knowing what class of enemy you are fighting is part of the strategy. Staying mobile and off the capture points unless you have a good reason to be on them is part of the strategy. I think as I get better straight up dodging Supers will increasingly become part of my strategy. I'm also very much looking forward to the day when my Titan can counter the offensive Supers with his Ward of Dawn bubble shield (how is something a free kill meter if the thing it activates is non-lethal?) forming a very interesting counter strategy.

Besides it wasn't like there weren't very quick deaths in Halo. It's my opinion that the sniper rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher in Halo are cheap free-kill weapons. Instead of fighting me equal to equal people sometimes killed me with those one shot weapons and there was little I could do about it. Some of those weapons were just leaning against a nearby wall near the enemy's spawn point at the start of the match. And they came back every couple of minutes.

If you really truly want games to be skill vs skill you shouldn't allow any power weapons and should keep everyone absolutely equal at all times.

With a higher time to kill, people have to keep their aim on target longer to get kills. It takes more skill to do so. Lower time to kill means individual aiming skill is less of a factor in who wins an encounter.

I have to get my aim on you before you get yours on me. I have to keep my aim on you longer than you keep it on me. The kill times may be shorter in some cases but you still have to be more skilled than the other person. Plus now you're under increased time pressure. I'm not convinced it doesn't all average out.

In campaign though, any damage the Sparrow took was permanent. That could be different in multiplayer

I didn't take the time to test it. The Pikes and Interceptor certainly stayed at some level of damage. Whether they recharge any or not is still up in the air as far as I know.

Hey now, I don't do it. I'm not going to deny that it's a sound tactic, though.

It's not a sound tactic because it should not be a tactic at all. Back in my middle school days a tactic to avoid losing at Starcraft in our weekly computer class games was to walk over and switch off one of the enemy's computers... But anybody that did it was no allowed to play from then on and next time. Likewise those that abuse speech or teabag should be banned.

I really would have to see how much variance these high tier weapons have, so no comment. As for the examples you listed, that's just not enough. Think about the difference between a plasma pistol and the needler. Or the shotgun and BR. THOSE are different guns to me.

We don't know we've seen all the gun. The enemy has access to named mortar launchers and tracking projectile gun, and as others have said it's been hinted that there may be more alien weapons in the game for Guardians to use. It may turn out to be a false rumor but right now it's too early to judge Destiny's complete weapon set.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread