Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 08, 2014, 13:28 (3549 days ago) @ petetheduck

Which iswas a problem in the Beta, because there iswas no difficulty selector!

FTFY

It'd be great if a true difficulty selector was implemented, but wouldn't that be a huge undertaking? Wouldn't that contradict that no major changes would be made from the beta? It seems unlikely that we'll get to choose to run the level 8 strike on normal, heroic, or legendary. It'd be great though, and would significantly improve the game in my opinion.

The Alpha had a "Brave" and "Legend" setting for Strike difficulty, and the bump was significant, unlike the Beta's "eh" and "slightly-less eh" difficulties. I'm sure there'll be more options in the final game.

The Devils Layer strike had two difficulty levels in the beta. Normal was level 6 (I think) and Hard was level 8. Changing the level bumped up both enemy toughness as well as enemy mixture and numbers.

I kind've wish the difficulty was relevant to the Fireteam leader. A level 10 player on normal would face level 10 enemies (same level), but a level 10 player would face, say, level 13 enemies on hard (3 levels higher). So you could always experience a challenge regardless of how you've leveled up.

Borderlands 2 has Ultimate Vault Hunter mode, where enemy difficulty is tied to the highest-leveled player on the team, so the entire group gets punishing enemies, sometimes to the point where some teammates barely graze the enemies, even if they have gold-tier weaponry...

While I don't think Destiny should go this extreme route, it does increase the need to co-operate if one of your teammates affects the overall experience for better or worse.

I contrast this with Dead Island's somewhat odd system where a low level player sees an enemy as a level 5, and his high-level teammate sees that exact same enemy as a level 30. You end up challenged no matter how much "better" you get at the game, which may or may not be a bad thing...

We also need mission and difficulty completion icons.

Yeah, this. Also maybe some emblems tied to difficulty progression. I loved the completion-tracking that Halo 2-ODST had on your profile.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread