Very disappointed in Destiny. *long* *TL;DR included* (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:34 (3541 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:42

Regarding the general nature of story: Underwhelming, for a start. Much has been made of lack of narrative, and I cannot disagree. Again, hoping that the real game will have more, and that the story will be emergent over time. After all, Halo had one story running on top, but a far more interesting one running below - one that only came into focus (for me) after I stumbled into HBO.

That's interesting, because the story that we THOUGHT was running below - Cortana having been corrupted by the flood, or Truth being conniving and playing everyone knowing full well what the Halos do - turned out not to be the case.

I wouldn't worry YET about lack of story. Bungie's games have always been event, rather than character driven. Perhaps less so ODST, which makes it interesting on that level. The characters in Bungie games are pretty much there just to move the plot, and are not that interesting in and of themselves. I'm sure that when the events unfold in the game, it will be more interesting.

I do worry about the approach to the story, with tons of little missions that aren't substantial and peripherally connect, but that may not end up being the case in final.

I've registered destiny.isnotcanon.net preemptively though, just in case :-p

My biggest concern is the inevitable requirement for gear grinding, given gear is random, or the currency to acquire it is random (strange coins and the like to get the exotics from Xur, etc), or the currency is grindy (vanguard points, crucible marks, etc). Because light is only on gear, and level factors heavily into your ability to do damage, playing the higher level stuff means engaging with this dumb system. Which is a problem, because there is no difficulty selector!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread