I believe it does

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 23:26 (4026 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Xenos, Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 23:47

DRM is anything that is in place to actively restrict you from using the game on a system capable of executing the game code.

Imagine the following scenario:

Your console is flagged as banned on XBL. You have a real copy of the game and a real xbox, however MS won't let you connect to the server to play Destiny. Since connecting is required to play Destiny, then Microsoft is actively restricting your use of the game. DRM.

Imagine another scenario:

A perfect Xbox 360 emulator is released tomorrow. You buy Destiny and try to play it. The emulator has the capability to communicate the same way as an xbox, but since consoles individually identify themselves to the server, there is no way MS would allow the emulator to connect. Thus, they are again restricting your access to the game.

If you have hardware (or software in the case of emulators) capable of executing the game code, but for whatever reason you are prevented from doing so by an action, device, or algorithm put there by the developer / publisher, then it's DRM.

I think the thing that really gets me is they are talking about Destiny as if it's always-online specifically as an anti-piracy idea (which to me is what DIgital Rights Management is for) when I have read very few about for example Guild Wars 2. The online component in both (at least from what they have revealed about Destiny) is meant to ADD gameplay features NOT limit players' accessibility. I think the thing that's really killed Maxis/EA for example is the fact that people have hacked SimCity and shown that gameplay is not hampered by not being connected to their servers.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread