EA: "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy"

by kapowaz, Thursday, March 28, 2013, 02:43 (4037 days ago) @ Xenos

One thing I found interesting about comparing the two is that that really pretty much is Maxis's first "rodeo" as DeeJ put it, hopefully since Bungie has 4 (5 if you count Marathon 2 on XBL) online games under its belt they can pull it off much better.

Agreed — also I suspect that their online play will have a more distributed peer-to-peer nature than games like Sim City and Diablo III, which should hopefully ease the burden of online play.

However, there is one potential issue that I'm concerned about (perhaps it's already been voiced) with Bungie that's unique to Destiny amongst all their titles so far: each game they've released has included a major offline campaign too, which for a lot of players will be the first thing they play. The difference in difficulty level that players choose, how much they choose to smell the roses etc. will also stagger how quickly these players finish the game before moving on to multiplayer, and so the sudden burst of players going online isn't nearly as dramatic as it was with a game where you have to be online to play at all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread