Client-Server != DRM

by Claude Errera @, Friday, March 22, 2013, 11:07 (4050 days ago) @ Schooly D

Wow, you really know a lot about how Destiny works! I wish I had your in with the developer; I certainly don't have anywhere this level of certainty about how Destiny's gonna be when it comes out!

I'm curious as to why Cody's assumption of Destiny's mechanics received this response, but kapowaz's assumption of Bungie's intentions did not:

Always online in Destiny is a technical decision made to support design goals Bungie has set out.

Because Cody's description of how things would work was pretty damned specific, while kapowaz assumed nothing more than 'always-online' (which has been stated, though not with any specifics).

Cody STARTED with a relatively abstract argument, but has gotten more and more specific as people have argued with him, and my eyes started rolling when I read this sentence:

But Destiny not only requires you to be online, but it requires you to be connected to a particular server run by the people developing / publishing the game.

That sentence requires just a little more assumption than I'm willing to concede at this stage. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread