I believe it doesn't

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, March 21, 2013, 23:54 (4025 days ago) @ narcogen

In practice, of course, all it means is another hoop. Someone will figure out how it works, and the process of hacking/copying the game and modding the console will be extended to include telling the game it's OK to run even offline. Since we already know you'll be able to play Destiny solo, you won't actually be forced to use any of the online features.

If you're playing Destiny without using those features, the only thing the "always online" functionality does is... work as DRM. Until it's defeated. After that, all it does is inconvenience those who paid full price to play on a legitimate console. Those who pirated the game and play on a modded console, as usual, will barely notice.

This is one thing we don't know for sure though. If all the online features are for playing with other players than you are definitely right. But since from what they've said I understand the world will be constantly changing and that cannot be done with out being connected to their servers. Now I'm not necessarily arguing that doesn't make it DRM, but it does mean it's more than just keeping you connected just so they can prevent pirating or whatever.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread