Streaming some Fallout 4 (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 13:31 (3098 days ago) @ stabbim

It is REALLY good so far. Feels good to be back in the wasteland. Movement feels much better than before, as does the first-person shooting.

I got that impression watching TheeChaos's stream. The shooting actually looks pretty fun (it distinctly wasn't in Fallout 3; it was VATS or nothing.).

It still is very obviously a Bethesda game. Wonky companion AI and animations (although the faces and facial expressions are a huge improvement from their stuff in the past). We encountered a large body of water that had a hard line of two completely separate textures down the middle last night.

That said, anyone who went in to Fallout 4 not expecting those things is a little naive. We know exactly what we're getting with a Bethesda game by this point. Whether that's acceptable or not is up for debate. I don't mind little things like that; it's undoubtedly a huge, complex game, so all of those little bugs won't get squashed. But I've heard about some hard crashes and freezes and save corruptions happening to some folks, too. I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to wait a while. I have always loved Bethesda games, but they're always undoubtedly better after the first patch or two.

That said, Fallout 4 looks stellar. TheeChaos showed us the settlement building system last night, and it looks awesome. I spent tens of hours setting up my DLC houses in Skyrim just right. This looks like that on steroids. I can see myself sinking a lot of time into building an awesome settlement.

I really am excited to get it. I was going to hold off for quite a while, but in all honestly I'll probably get it next month, if not sooner. I do want to wait for the first big patch at least and see what it's like at that point.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread