Some thoughts . . . (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 02:25 (3094 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm currently about 17 hours into my play through. I've mainly focused on the main story quests, with the first few Minutemen and the very first Brotherhood of Steel quest thrown in, along with a few random ones and a few hours worth of settlement building.

I am in love with this game. As we've discussed in this thread, I don't get the complaints of it not being "next gen" enough. I think it's a perfect evolution of what we got with Fallout 3 (I never played New Vegas, so I can't comment on that). It feels so great to be back in the world of Fallout, and this game is packed with so much world building in almost every little corner. The crafting system fits in perfectly with the nature of the game and the world; making weapons and armor out of junk is just perfect. It doesn't feel shoehorned in like in some other games.

I really enjoy the settlement building aspect, too, although it is not explained very well (or at all). It took me ages to figure out how to make the Local Leader perk work for the supply runs and that you had to actually assign a person to make the runs. It also took me way longer than I'd like to admit that you can't break down all your junk into crafting components, and that it's done automatically just buying storing your junk in the workbenches. That said, the system is actually pretty deep, and I'm sure we'll see some amazing stuff out of it from the community. I haven't been too deep into it, yet, as I'm too eager to experience that real meat of the game.

Some other random thoughts:

-I keep accidentally activating my pip-boy because when I loot stuff, I still reflexively press 'B' to get out of that menu. It's really awesome that it's just a contextual menu that you can just walk away from, but I just can't break that habit!

-Radiation storms are freaking amazing. Seriously, probably one of the coolest effects I've seen in a game ever. Walking through Boston with a green fog, low visibility, and that awesome lightning sound . . . it's seriously creepy.

-I don't get what people are complaining about with the graphics, either. Sure, it's no Destiny, but I think it looks pretty damn good. The details might not look great individually, but the art design is so cohesive and damn near perfect that it looks great as a whole, I think. Plus, I think the Bethesda has done a pretty good job with the faces and facial expressions and animations in general, given what they're known for.

-I'm really digging the companions. I haven not spent a single moment alone, which is saying quite a bit considering that I NEVER used a companion in Skyrim because they were so bad. They still have the occasionally janky pathfinding, or lodge themselves in a doorway, but it's not enough to detract from how interesting they are. I love hearing their quips or finding out their backstories. Been rolling with Piper pretty much since I got to Diamond City, but I only have four of them, I think.

-Power Armor (as discussed in this thread) is awesome. I still only have the starting set, but since we talked about it, I've been using it quite a bit, and it's really fun. I explore without it (I don't have the cores for that!), but if I'm going into a place I feel like might be a tough fight, I go grab my Power Armor and then come back and wreck shit. It's a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace from my normally sneaky character.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread