Found your problem. (Gaming)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:53 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The problem as I see it is that game companies aren't run by gamers. They have this belief that game sales cycle similarly to other merchandise sales, and they really don't. If any of the great games out this month had come out in June, they'd have sold waaaay more copies simply due to lack of competition. Gamers are voracious. We don't buy only one good game; we buy them all. But if all the good ones come out at the same time, we will buy our one favorite and then wait on the others until their prices drop.

Also, I believe MMORPGs are bad for gaming in general. The more time you're playing a single game, the less time you have for other games. Destiny is making money, sure, but is it making enough to cover the fact that I didn't buy CoD because if I'm gonna FPS I'm just gonna play Destiny? Back when I played WoW, I did the math and was saving $300 a year by not purchasing other video games and just paying my monthly fees. Video games as timesinks is poor design as far as the business of gaming is concerned.

I don't think its bad business for the game developer that makes the time sink. I've only paid for Destiny and it's expansions since Destiny came out last Sept. So $140 for just over a year. Normally I would have only bought 1 title from a company and maybe one map pack in the 2-3 year development cycle of the next game. That's less per year for that company while still having to pay for the development of the next game. At least with the MMORPG model they have money coming in a steady flow, and more than they would probably normally get per year.

I will say that for the industry, it is probably worse in a way. Normally I would have put Destiny down months ago, and bought Forza 6, Witcher 3, and now BO3, and even the new Rainbow 6 coming soon. Usually every 3-6 months I was buying a new game and I also switched between games fairly frequently. Now, it's pretty much just Destiny all the time. I've never played so much but with so few games. It works for me, I've been saving bucks by just playing Destiny. I do long for something different though. I just wanna shoot things without having to unlock, upgrade, infuse every time I get something new.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread