Some thoughts . . . (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 12:22 (3093 days ago) @ Funkmon

You know, the biggest next gen thing to me was eliminating button presses. Just being able to look things with no menu pop up was amazing to me. It was like "oh DAMN we're in the future."

Oblivion's graphics were unbelievably good, so that was "next gen," but looting stuff without a menu pop-up?! We've been looting people since the late nineties in the same way! Press button. Take stuff. Exit menu. Now we just take the stuff! It is a huge game changer for me.

I can agree with you, there. I'll be disappointed if I ever have to open a menu to loot something again.

I don't like the radiation storms. They are nifty and add an interesting element to the game and the god rays are cool, but I don't like scary games, or things where it's hard to see. I hate feral ghouls.

Feral ghouls are downright frightening now. I get where you're coming from, but I feel the opposite. I've always felt like Fallout would make a great horror game. It should be downright frightening to be picking through a destroyed city infested with ghouls and mutants, whereas it mostly comes off as sort of goofy. I mean, I love how light-hearted Fallout is overall, but I feel like running across a pack of feral ghouls during a radiation storms gives us a peek at what Fallout could be as a straight up horror game. The first quest to find the Railroad kinda hints at that, too, when you're creeping through the church.

I played for a little bit today, looking for the alien blaster you can see in loading screens. I found it, and then found a side quest involving a Chinese submarine. It only showed up because while I was swimming into the ocean away from raiders, I heard someone yell something. I then swam back and talked to him. This type of thing has happened a few times in the game, where you only get the quest by chance.

It feels like it has happened fewer times in Fallout 4 than Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Skyrim to me. Not sure if it means anything.

I also think that it would be cool if you could figure out if you have done all the quests or not in game. It might ruin the experience though. Not sure.

Yeah, this has always been one thing I've had really mixed feelings about. I think it's a great, natural feeling way to get quests, but I'm always worried that I'm missing out on great content because I wasn't in the exact right place to pick it up. Eventually I'm sure there will be a comprehensive guide or wiki.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread