Yeah, mostly. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:15 (3097 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Only Oblivion. I liked Oblivion, the open world go anywhere you want exploration thing. But the endless collection of "stuff" wore on me and I lost interest. So much time spent doing such boring stuff...

Bethesda hasn't made a modern game that wasn't like that, really. That's kind of their thing. I remember playing Morrowind for the first time and realizing I could pick up absolutely ANYTHING. There's actually a quest in that game about finding a specific fork (A magical fork!).

In most of their games, it's not really something you need to do. Most of the items are useless; you can just sell them to vendors and that's pretty much it. You just steal everything that's not bolted down and sell it. It seems like Fallout 4 has made most of this stuff usable for crafting and not just flavor, so it's bound to be worse in that aspect.

Keep in mind though, the game doesn't have to be played that way (or past Bethesda games didn't). You can definitely just play the quests and and kill things. But for many (most?), Bethesda games are very much mostly just about exploring the world, looking through every container imaginable, collecting a bunch of crap. Typing that makes me realize how shallow and boring it makes the games sound, but it really is one of the most unique and satisfying gaming experiences in an odd way, for the right people.

I'm in no way saying you're wrong or that you should get Fallout 4, it does take a particular mindset to enjoy, I think. I'm just saying that it's one of the great things about Bethesda games: there's no "right" way to play them. If you want to just shoot you're way through the quests, you can. If you want to ignore the quests for hundreds of hours and blaze your own path through the game world, you can definitely do that, too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread