Found your problem. (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:07 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

going out and doing things with friends and family

See, if you just remove those things from your life, you'll have more time. It's what I did!

I need to become a hermit and live in a cabin deep in the woods. A rich hermit, though, that can afford to lay fiber optics all the way to my cabin. (:

This month is a rough month. I'm going to wait on Tomb Raider to be cheaper to buy it. $30 maybe. Maybe I'll rent it. IDK. Honestly, who cares, anyway? So what if you miss a game. Can you imagine telling kids about the time you almost beat Witcher 3? Meh. Cut the losses and play Fallout. Come back in the spring dry spell.

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts anymore. There are just too many games, and I can't keep up, so there's not much use in trying. The Witcher 3 became a real sticking point for a while, because I really, really enjoyed it, but I stopped about halfway through for House of Wolves and just never made it back. I tried for a while to get back into it, just on principle of wanting to finish a game I liked, but I wasn't enjoying it for whatever reason, so I abandoned it. Life's too short to play games you're not having fun with, though, so screw it.

The problem as I see it is that game companies aren't run by gamers. They have this belief that game sales cycle similarly to other merchandise sales, and they really don't. If any of the great games out this month had come out in June, they'd have sold waaaay more copies simply due to lack of competition. Gamers are voracious. We don't buy only one good game; we buy them all. But if all the good ones come out at the same time, we will buy our one favorite and then wait on the others until their prices drop.

Also, I believe MMORPGs are bad for gaming in general. The more time you're playing a single game, the less time you have for other games. Destiny is making money, sure, but is it making enough to cover the fact that I didn't buy CoD because if I'm gonna FPS I'm just gonna play Destiny? Back when I played WoW, I did the math and was saving $300 a year by not purchasing other video games and just paying my monthly fees. Video games as timesinks is poor design as far as the business of gaming is concerned.

In fact, to bring this whole circle: I've spent as much time building my bases in Fallout as I have spent wandering the wasteland. It's nice to have that tool available, but man does it take a lot of time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread