Natural progression (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, September 01, 2017, 09:03 (2438 days ago) @ Xenos

"Gaming the system" is having to juggle gear while decrypting engrams to climb the light ladder! It seems to me that Bungie is keenly aware of that kind of problem and has taken rather dramatic steps to make progression more natural through normal gameplay.

Yeah I have to agree with this. I think this is done intentionally to make the player's leveling more of a natural increase as you complete missions and to discourage farming. Bungie has shown a desire to discourage farming in the past, repeatedly. If it worked how the community would like then farming an area would be the most efficient way to level up. This encourages players to play an activity, get some engrams and rewards, then go get the engrams decrypted and purchase from a vendor with the rewards received, rather then sitting in the same area shooting the same group of enemies over and over (hmm... that sounds familiar).

It may make farming the most efficient way to level, but it would only be slightly more efficient than just running through a handful of missions or strikes and then turning everything in when you're done. With what we know about the current system, the most efficient path will be to drop into the area with the shortest path to the best group of enemies to kill for engrams, run back to the Cryptarch, rinse and repeat. And God help us all if someone determines that the first part of a strike turns out to be the quickest route to an engram. It sounds like a terrible way to play, but if it's the fastest way to level, people will do it and complain about how grindy the game is.

This is only really going to be annoying if leveling is painfully slow in the game when it releases, something we don't have any idea of at the moment (and if some of you do for some reason, don't let me know, I'd rather find out on Thursday night).

100% agree. I REALLY hope that it turns out that the engrams have very little impact on how we level up. I'd love to see us level up more from end of mission/strike rewards, and only see maybe one or two engrams per mission. I'm crossing my fingers that this whole conversation turns out to be completely meaningless come launch day.

-Disciple

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread