Skill up Math (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 21:16 (2474 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 21:48

It locked out existing content

For all of three days. That's not relevant anymore. It's not even worth talking about.

Wrong. It was a week of active lockout before Bungie addressed what they planned to do, if you took the five seconds required to look at the video's upload date, he made his comments before Bungie said that they were going to reverse the lockouts, so at the time, yes it was worth talking about, because it was an existing issue that had yet to be addressed, and did in fact make vanilla Destiny 2 worse for people who didn't buy the DLC.

and a decent chunk of the new loot is eververse specific

That doesn't change the way Destiny operates. Most of the loot in the base game is also Eververse specific. It's literally the only way to earn emotes, ships, sparrows, and Ghosts. Literally nothing has changed in that regard.

Mama's wrong again! In the base game, the majority of loot exists outside of Eververse.

In CoO, the majority of new loot is in Eververse. Sure, you could argue that stuff like armor ornaments balance it out, if you really want to (even though that was more of a Live Team change to the game in general as a result of backlash, rather than content made for CoO, and a good chunk of that is still to come), and I'm totally glad that they added that, but it doesn't matter what content is Eververse exclusive, the problem is how much is Eververse exclusive. That said, it's all cosmetic, but in a loot-driven game like Destiny, having a path to specific loot is more important than pulling the slot machine that is Eververse.

unlocked via overly grindy mechanics.

Oh, you mean like hopping around shooting things in the head for MIDA? You mean like grinding out Public Events for tokens? You mean like having to turn in five scout rifles which took me over a week to do?

The Lost Prophecies are too grindy for my tastes, too, but it's not any worse than the rest of the game. In fact, it's probably better--you do a specific set of activities for a specific weapon, rather than public events for tokens to turn in for a random reward.

It's also literally exactly what most of reddit and most streamers asked for. They specifically wanted a reason to grind strikes again. Well, they got what they asked for.

He elaborates well on this, but since you didn't watch the video, you're backflipping to conclusions. Don't do that.
You seem to think "streamers asked for more grind!" When they have been asking for more reasons to play the game. Totally not the same thing. If Bungie had put things in like challenging missions, or had given people clear, tangible goals (the Black Spindle mission is used as a direct example), rather than simply telling folks to grind the same Public events 20+ times, people would be happy!
But they didn't.
If they had some cosmetics as rewards for doing something specific, people would be happy!
But they didn't.

And the thing is that Destiny 1 had these things. It had strike-specific loot. It had exotic quests. It had cosmetics tied to different activities, it had alternate paths to specific content. Was there grinding involved? Yes, but it was a narrower path to the goal. Now, it's all a roll of the die with Eververse, or grinding public event, after public event, after public event...

You can disagree but his opinion is clear and at least based on facts.

It seems mostly based on bullshit, honestly. We must have different definitions of what a fact is.

Clearly. It's a fact that the he goes to various lengths to point out and provide evidence to support his facts. It's a fact that you didn't watch the video and are making opinions based off of a refusal to take your blinders off, simply because "it's not a problem for me, so it's obviously not a problem!".

I'll say it again. Nothing about how Destiny operates has changed.

Except you are wrong yet again. Destiny 2 has operated differently since CoO launched. In a lot of ways, it's for the better (You can buy specific armor from vendors, and unlock their ornaments through completing specific goals!). For those who wish to consume new content, the way missions operate, the way you get the unique loot, it's all a huge step back from what Destiny 2 had initially. And if you didn't buy the DLC, you still have less content than before (can't do Prestige Nightfall, for example).

He explained this all pretty well in the video.

I wouldn't know. I watched approximately four minutes before I got annoyed and turned it off.

Look man, just because something doesn't pander to you and says only what you want to hear, doesn't mean you should cover your ears and avoid listening to it. The reason this guy isn't yet-another-cancerous-Youtuber is because he goes out of his way to explain concepts before he makes opinions, and he actually supports his arguments. I don't agree with everything he says, but he does a great job of opening the door for debate by giving solid evidence to support what he says, without repeating himself over and over to try to convince you.

But if you wanna stick to your infowars... ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread