+1, but everyone can get what they want as well... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 12:59 (2473 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The biggest thing Bungie has done to shoot themselves in the foot, IMO, is lack of transparency. Not having a clear expectation of how these mechanics (loot, exp, buffs, etc.) work is already frustrating to some; when bugs or questionable decisions arise, it amplifies that frustration. If you're playing the game with others and all the other bits just come along for the ride, it doesn't matter what decisions Bungie made or what bugs exist, it's all ancillary. There are many who put more stock into these systems, however, and those are the folks who are up in arms.

I agree with this. I would say that Bungie has always been about the clean UI, don't think too much about it, just let the play experience be seamless. The one problem with this is that it kind of goes against the RPG nature where hardcore players want those stats, they want to min/max everything. And as you said, when there is any sort of bug or problem, they want to know those stats to figure out what is wrong.

I am a person who loves to know stats. Which is weird because I just don't care in Destiny. And I would say "just add in all the information in there" but I don't want it! I don't want all that clutter. I want to know what I need to do to get stuff, but as for everything else, I would rather figure out drop rates by experiencing it. I don't need to know exactly how much of a bonus I get for something, I just care about the fact that it is a boon. I know that isn't for everyone.

I love clean UIs. I usually play with as little HUD as possible, and I usually don't pay attention to, or worry about what resources I'm getting unless I'm actively hunting them (I had almost 2k Weapon parts before CoO, simply because I don't bother trading them in with Banshee, since I have what I want in terms of weapons, generally).

That said, I notice right away when a developer gives me options to check and tweak aspects of the game that are generally invisible to me. Stuff like that is extremely useful for some people, and there's no good reason to deny them that as an option.

===================================================

In Warframe, the UI is generally clean. You can resize, remove, or add elements to it, and everything can be invisible if you want. At the same time, you can go into your menu at any time and get realtime info on your mission progress. Want to know which of your teammates has landed the most headshots? Which one has received the most amount of damage? Exactly how many credits you've earned, and how many drops you've picked up compared to each teammate?
It's all there. Want to track exactly how much health and shields your teammates have? You can have your UI show that at all times.

Want to go deeper and find out exactly how much time you've used every single weapon, character, sentinel, or pet, and how many kills you've gotten with every single one?
How your upgraded weapon compares to its base stats (with numbers and percentages, rather than bars), and how that weapon compares to another in every way from the status proc% chance, down to the amount of noise it makes? It's all there. They even let you check how much damage you can do when you swing your melee weapon after leaping from a wallrun.

===================================================

You can even pull up how many pictures/scans you've taken of every single enemy and item in the game. Why would they add that?

Because they know that some people care about all that, and they give you the option to check all of that out. People like you and me, though? We can completely ignore all of that, and just enjoy the game with our clean UI.

I don't see why Bungie has always been happy enough with "Three of Coins increase the chance of Exotic drops, and they stack to a degree, but they also have an invisible cooldown timer, lol."

Vagueness is terrible, especially when communication problems are repeatedly pointed out, and promises are made to address that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread