This is next-level trolling :-) (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 13:01 (2473 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 13:09

Sorry, apparently I cannot help myself.

Does that compare in any way to cheapLEY's "I don't want to listen to a word he says, so I'm just gonna say that he's wrong about whatever he says, and I'm right, no matter what anyone else says either!"

You make the mistake of assuming I was arguing against him. I wasn’t. Or if I was, it was only by proxy. I was arguing against the points and reason presented in this thread. Mostly I was just arguing against the statement that CoO was “objectively worse” than D2, as it’s an asinine statement by its very nature.

You weren't arguing against him, as that would require knowing the points he made, which you clearly didn't.

He literally just said this. He just stated that he was arguing against the "objectively worse" statement you used. As such, the following sentence cannot be what he was arguing.

You were arguing against the possibility that he might have made a good point, because you weren't going to risk the chance that he might by listening to him.

That said, CoO is objectively worse than D2.

If you didn't buy CoO, you had less content than before. That's changed for the most part, but you still have less content than before.

If you compare level design, CoO is objectively worse than D2. D2 had handmade encounters and controlled level design. CoO uses randomly generated Tile pieces (not even proper tilesets), and randomly generated enemies. It's a terrible execution of the concept, and when you look at the design of the tile pieces themselves, they are not on par with the base game's level design.

Maybe I'm weird and I haven't played it enough to be frustrated, but I don't hate the tiles. They certainly don't live up to my wildest dreams of what procedural generation could do, but they are a fun divergent experience.

As it stands right now post-patch, CoO on its own does not make Destiny 2 worse (besides the content that folks are still locked out of). But as a continuation of D2, it takes steps back. When something regresses, and botches its execution, what would you call that? "An improvement!" in cheapLEY-world it would seem.

This is subjective and I didn't see cheapLEY argue that is was an improvement. I wouldn't call it better or worse. Just a slightly different expansion. I really liked playing the campaign solo though.

"But, but, the Raid Lair is great!"

"The car can't be a lemon, the steering wheel is gorgeous, and the power steering is so smooth! Who cares if the mechanic says that the transmission is failing! I love turning this steering wheel!"

This is a bad metaphor based on different dependencies. I don't think you need to play anything else in CoO to play the lair. You can't continue to reliably operate a car with a failing transmission. CoO missions/prophecy content may be a flaming pile of crap (I don't think they are), but they don't make the raid lair bad. By virtue of expanding the game by one great experience, they have made the game better.

Obviously this ignores the changes to other mechanics you cannot ignore, but I'm not sure the evidence suggests that the game is worse because of these changes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread