Jason Schreier interviewed Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 08:59 (1779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Regarding resource starvation.

Having a limited resource is only interesting for players if:

1. The resource is truly limited and during the course of the game there is a set finite amount.
2. The resource recharges automatically at a rate that is appropriate.

The problem with having a resource you must gather that is unlimited is that it takes away the element of choice. If a resource is truly limited, then choosing what to spend it on has a significant impact on how you play the game from that point on. But with an infinite resource there is no longer decision making; you can get more and essentially have every choice. This what is really going on is the game is making your time a resource. Those shitty mobile games where the game makes you wait for actions to complete are universally reviled. And yet, they are functionally equivalent as to when you have an infinite farmable resource.

Truly limiting the resource makes your choices interesting and impactful.

Resources that recharge automatically, such as your temperature gauge in Vanquish or your shield in Halo, are meant to provide limitations in the heat of the moment and change the flow of battle. Do I rush our or take cover? Then when the fight is over it recharges. This creates momentary strategic decisions.

But unlimited farmable resources? You lose everything interesting about having a limitation. Because there is no limitation at all if you have time. And so your time is wasted because the game could just let you have everything without you wasting your time.

I agree with you that "limited" resources give players an option. And also that there are different kinds limited resources. As you mention, if the resource is unlimited, then the true gated resource is then your time. That is on me, it's my time, my choice. If I have weapon A and B I want to upgrade and I need a resource, it's my choice to either spend my time to upgrade just one, or both of them. They have given me a choice as to how much I want to invest in a weapon over another. Time is just another resource that is limited. You apparently don't like Time being a limited resource in a game. The difference here, is that I control how I use the time. Mobile games decide that for you. You don't have the choice to spend more of your time if you want to. It's possible that you also don't like that time as a resource in games doesn't have a static value across all gamers. I know it's come up here many times on the forums that. But in my mind, you can't have a live game without investing time as a resource.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread