Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, June 30, 2019, 14:08 (1763 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We can forgo the story aspect of this discussion as it's not really exactly applicable.

You buy a game to PLAY it. And PLAYING it has always involved figuring out and conquering the challenges presented to you. It's not just a matter of being spoiled. It's a matter of not doing a thing that is inherent to playing a game. It would be more like thinking you know a book based on someone giving you a summary. You didn't actually read it. Just like when you don't raid blind, you're not REALLY playing it. But playing non blind a second time is fine, because YOU uncovered that information, and that is part of the natural challenge of playing a game.

Every game I ever played as a child came with someone explaining the rules to me.

When I first started playing video games, there was no set of tablets that said "thou shalt not learn the rules before you start" - this 'always' stuff you throw around is pretty much not 'always'. Some games include the joy of discovery in the play - others do not. Some leave it up to the player. When there's a choice, everyone can be happy - those who want to go in without rules, those who would rather understand the framework and work on the execution. This whole "here is how you play games" schtick is a bit annoying.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread