Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, June 30, 2019, 16:12 (1764 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When I first started playing video games, there was no set of tablets that said "thou shalt not learn the rules before you start" - this 'always' stuff you throw around is pretty much not 'always'. Some games include the joy of discovery in the play - others do not. Some leave it up to the player. When there's a choice, everyone can be happy - those who want to go in without rules, those who would rather understand the framework and work on the execution. This whole "here is how you play games" schtick is a bit annoying.

It's literally the point of the challenge though… to figure it out yourself. That's why challenges are put into games in the first place… to overcome them. You don't have to like every challenge of course! That's why we have different genres of games, each with their own set of things to overcome. You can pick the ones you like.

It's not literally the point of anything.

It's the point of the challenge FOR YOU.

Look at Flappy Bird. Figuring out what you're supposed to do is trivial. I have seen people who have never seen a video game before (my mom) understand the goal within 30 seconds. And yet... it keeps (some) people interested for very long periods of time.

The point is not the rules, in that case - it's the execution. Figuring out what you're supposed to do isn't even a MINOR challenge.

Destiny is a game that offers a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Blind raiding is a possibility - but NOT a requirement, and not even something that the developers are unhappy if you don't experience. Again - I'm glad you like doing it. I liked doing it, a couple of times. I actively avoid it now, because it's (for me) more trouble than it's worth. And my enjoyment of this game is no less valid than yours.

Please, please, please - stop telling me how to enjoy something. Stop telling me what the POINT of the game is - the point, for you, is not the same as the point for me, so there is no universal 'point'. Enjoy the gaming you do - but please don't try and impose your views on me. Thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread