Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, June 30, 2019, 23:00 (1763 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m genuinely curious though… at what point you draw the line.

Do you want to be told exactly what to do and where to go? Do you watch videos of the raid being completed beforehand? Do you want only vague hints? Do you want the mechanics described but not the strategies?

Is it like this for other genres or game modes? Why? Why not? I want to understand.

Depends ENTIRELY on how I feel when I start a new activity. (No longer just talking about raids - this includes new quests, etc)

Sometimes I want to figure it out for myself. I jump in, and I play.

Sometimes I just want to get to the end of the quest. I google the solution (which is 100% of the time online and searchable before I get around to playing).

Sometimes it's a combination - I start on my own, I hit something that I don't get past, I get bored and google the solution.

We blind-raided Crown of Sorrows a couple of weeks ago, and got through the 3rd (of 4) encounters without looking anything up. As long as the group is enthusiastic, and progress continues to be made, that's fun.

We reached a point where we had run out of time - if we were going to finish, we were going to need to learn the technique for the final encounter faster than it would come to us on our own. Enthusiasm had begun to wane anyway, so nobody had a problem with this.

There is no 'one' answer to your questions - it depends on the game, the day, the events that led to the activity, the enjoyment experienced the last time a similar activity was attempted... in the end, the doing of the thing that first time is just a single time, regardless of whether it was done with or without help, and the enjoyment that activity brings (over the life of the game) is overwhelmingly decided by the mechanics of the activity, because that first experience is completely drowned out by the dozens, or hundreds, of runs that come AFTER that first one.

::shrug::

You and I will never experience games the same way, and I'm not sure we'll ever really understand why the other one plays at all. And that's okay. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread