Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 22:51 (1758 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 22:54

Not wanting to be spoiled is not about just not knowing a twist. It’s about allowing yourself to experience the unfolding of a narrative. Even something straightforward with no “twists” or “shocks” benefits from this.

Narratives are set up for this. We are always asking ourselves when editing “what does the audience know right now? What do they think about this at this moment?” Even about small things such what affectation a character’s response to something should be. And so decisions as to how to present the narrative are designed around these questions.

Let me ask you something. If you like knowing beforehand, do you read the walkthrough for the games you play the first time?

For me, the kind of decisions you’re making as an editor can be appreciated even with or without the knowledge of the plot. There’s “the story”, and then there’s the “storytelling”, which are not exactly the same thing. Its one thing to know that character X betrays character y, but to actually witness it, to see the expressions on their faces, the way it’s shot, the music... that’s the stuff that ultimately makes or breaks the scene. And for me as a viewer, if my brain is occupied by surprise or desire to know what’s about to happen next, I actually don’t take in all that other stuff properly. I miss stuff, or forget it immediately after seeing it. Having a basic knowledge of the plot ahead of time let’s me shift my focus to the storytelling, and away from simply following what’s happening.

To answer your question, I don’t typically play games that would require a guide. I usually play games where the challenge lies in proper execution, not in figuring out what I’m supposed to do next.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread