Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 14:19 (1746 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 14:36

That’s a little disingenuous. Crucible is different every single match based on the fact that you’re playing with and against different players. If you don’t like Crucible that might not be an appreciable difference to you, but it’s undeniably a difference between that and doing the thousandth “Collect 15 Baryon Boughs” bounties, which still makes me angry every time I see it.

I only used crucible as an example because Cody has specifically said that that is one of the only things he enjoys doing other than raiding. I would have used another example instead :D

I could also say that strikes and nightfalls are also specifically made to be replaying by adding matchmaking with other people, daily modifiers, and randomness of enemies.

I'm all for calling collecting baryon boughs a grind, but that is still a subset (and not required) of just one of many different ways to level up easily.

I'm mostly saying that Cody has said that you have to grind to play end game content. And to him a grind is something that has been designed to be repeated. And everything apart from the campaign is meant to be repeated, thus why Destiny is an MMO. Even the things he likes playing, crucible and raids. So if he enjoys crucible, why doesn't he enjoy strikes? or nightfalls? They are all designed to be repeated just like crucible. Yes, they are inherently different style of play, but not in terms of grinding as he puts it.

So to me, grinding, as he defines it, has nothing to do with it. He just wants to raid immediately, apart from whatever else the game gives him. And raids have inherently been endgame content. And that makes sense given story and buildup. You can't just play the Forsaken raid without playing the campaign, that would make no sense! I would have missed out on a lot if I played the leviathan raid before completing the campaign.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread