Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 21, 2019, 13:30 (1743 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think something can be repeatable without being repetitious. You can repeat a level of Halo, but you might try going a different way, or using different weapons, or try to take the warthog all the way to the end this time. All of these are stimulating new experiences. When something is repetitive, this implies a mindless sameness. This describes most grind I think, especially if efficiency is a concern.

I can totally agree with this. But I have to say then that this also implies a choice. You can make something a grind or not. If you choose to take the same fastest path through the same thing over and over again it is a grind. And people are making Destiny a grind by choice not because they are forced to. Yes, there are some things is Destiny that give you one path, but those is very far and few between. I choose to do as you have mention, try new things, take a different path, different weapons, choose a completely different load out even if it's the same level over that you are playing.

But here we have an interview where it is specifically stated that Bungie wants players to find the most efficient ways to farm glimmer. I think this means their minds are towards repetitive design in this and possibly other cases.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread