Jason Schreier interviewed Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 13, 2019, 16:18 (1779 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Time is always a resource. In every game you’ve ever played, in every thing you’ve ever done. Time is inherently a resource.

That's… very false.

I don't ever recall Mario asking me to trade time for upgrading items, or for anything for that matter. The game presented itself and let me experience and explore it immediately. World 1-1, here you go have fun. Hell, it even included a warp zone so you didn't have to play shit over and over!

Except you were always choosing to spend your time playing Mario instead of doing anything else. You were using up a finite resource to play Mario. Time is a resource.

There's also the fact that Mario is a single player game, and Destiny isn't. For Destiny to work at all, there is a need for many people to be playing it. Raids don't work without a party. Crucible clearly doesn't happen without people in those playlists. Strikes could work alone, and it'd be a nice change of pace sometimes, but they are designed for three people. Without random matchmaking, patrol zones might as well not exist because it always feels drab and empty when I get loaded into one alone. Destiny is a game that only works because it is designed to be played with other people, both friends and blueberries. Sending players into the patrol zones and into the playlist activities is essential to making the game work. You can make an argument about the good or bad of designing a game where that is necessary, but we're far, far beyond that point. That is what Destiny is, that's a fact, and it's never going to be anything different. It's never going to be Halo. The game is better for everyone when everyone is out in the game doing stuff, even if you think it's piddly time-wasting bullshit.

Again, you may not like that, but it's not merely doing it just to waste Cody Miller's time. It is doing it because the game literally falls apart without those hooks that keep people in those activities. My experience is less fun if no one else is out there also doing any of those things.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread