Grind is in the eye of the beholder (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, June 19, 2019, 07:18 (1765 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This distinction feels like arbitrary “I’m righter” nonsense. Arguments over what is repeatable design and what is repetitive design will go absolutely nowhere.

It's not that hard to figure out.

Please don't make statements that imply we are dumb. There is no place for that here.

Is the repetition designed purposely as a means of progression? - Repetitive design and bad.

I partially agree with this. But you are making it way too black and white. If this statement is true, then you are saying that roguelike games are terribly designed. I would disagree with that.

Is the repetition tied to wanting a new experience? - Repeatable design and good.

Generally I agree with this, but you are assuming a new experience is a good one.

Are you repeating to progress, or are you repeating to have a new experience? Very easy to answer.

I would actually say that a majority of Destiny is actually both. I don't agree that it's completely bad design, progression is not a bad thing. Even if you have to repeat something to get that progression. What you repeat could be boring and not fun, but that doesn't mean that progression through repeating something is bad. Example we have used: Picking up resources from a planet vs playing crucible, both are repetition that progresses you in the game. Some people love or hate crucible, some people don't mind picking up resources but other don't. It's not all bad design.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread