Thar be whales in them tharr hills (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 02, 2019, 08:18 (1646 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, November 02, 2019, 08:24

Think about the raid, for instance. Given the number of people who actually play and complete it, it's sort of crazy Bungie invests in making it. I think it's why the entire raid "event" is now structured around streamers and the "world's first" race, to the detriment of ordinary players who want a reasonably unspoiled experience when they can reasonably approach an appropriate power level.

But the raid comes free with your purchase. Nobody's ever going to raise the price of games like they should, so it doesn't actually change anything for the players by it being there except to give them the option to play it.

Foam swords, Eververse silver, and Fallout 1st to me now, as well as the proliferation of "special editions" in the past, Virtual Reality hardware, concern me about a market going forward where games aren't like movies or TV-- entertainment for everyone-- but exotic cars, a market where it's deemed more profitable to seek many thousands of dollars a year or more from a smaller audience.

This is okay by me. I would rather spend the same amount of money and have fewer, better experiences. If I could only afford 2 games a year, but those games were perfect 11s, I wouldn't mind. That's not the problem. The problem is the games and the experiences are becoming more terrible at the AAA level.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Death Stranding has no microtransactions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread