Speaking of emotionally compromised... (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Sunday, November 03, 2019, 06:55 (1645 days ago) @ someotherguy

I was going to pick this apart line by line. But re-reading this, I have to ask if you're having some personal troubles or have some other history that's affecting your interpretation of this whole thing. This is a lot of time and effort you've put into dying on a hill that, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't exist.

Nah man, he’s right. You seemed dumbfounded that Wu could interpret your words as though they implied something more. He’s trying to show you how easy it is to get that conclusion. Your phrasing and use of bold came off as though you expect everyone to buy into your exasperation. That style of rhetoric implies a lot of things about your position, whether you intended to imply them or not ( Communication is fun!). Then, when someone interpreted your words in a way you say you didn’t intend you act dumbfounded, as though Wu’s interpretation was completely irrational (it wasn’t).

INSANE may have an esoteric, odd, patronizing and sometimes harsh way of pointing it out, but his attempt to bring your tone to the surface was something i considered doing. Indeed, he came to a place where his own words made parsing intent difficult. All that said, I don’t normally care about tone and wouldn’t have thought about it after your first post. People say and imply things on accident all the time(communication is hard after all). It was your turnaround when you seemed outraged/flabbergasted/ etc at Wu for having the audacity to have read your post in such a manner. I saw the same thing he did. Your tone wasn’t, “let’s have a conversation about why Wu could have understood your post that way,” rather, it was about implying that his interpretation was so off base that you just couldn’t even. You may not see it, or intended it, but that is a rhetorical sleight of hand in which you take offense to something as though it were so audacious that the other person must have malicious intent in even saying the thing. People pick up on that.

No hard feelings by the way. I just thought you might want to know how you came across, and that it wasn’t just INSANE picking up on it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread