Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 10:18 (1590 days ago) @ Korny

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker

Uh oh.

The angry incels will probably blame Rían Johnson for Abrams’ failure, despite the fact that he has historically sucked at wrapping up plot threads in a believable manner.

I just hope it’s fun.

#WattoGangRiseUp

If you replace “angry incels” with “fans of the franchise who don’t like the direction the series has taken”, I agree :)

Truly, for those who aren’t pleased with how things have gone, I do think there is plenty of blame to go around. I was something of a Last Jedi defender when it came out. But I’ve since come to feel that while I do enjoy it as a stand-alone movie, I think it did a lot of harm to the series as a whole, including the fact that it left Episode 9 in a very difficult position (apparently Ryan Johnson took the 3-movie plan that was in place and threw it directly out the window). So any filmmaker would struggle to tie things together in a meaningful way with episode 9. The fact that JJ’s greatest weakness is arguably his inability to finish a story in a satisfying way is just the icing on the cake.

Reading between the lines, JJ has ever-so-subtly been throwing RJ under the bus recently (saying things like “Last Jedi didn’t really derail our plans”; corporate speak for “Ive fixed things despite how badly TLJ derailed our plans). This makes me think that RoS will probably not click with the people who enjoyed TLJ. And if I had to bet, based on all the spoilers and leaks I’ve read (most of which have been confirmed at this point), I doubt old-school Star Wars fans will particularly enjoy it.

For myself, I’m going in hoping to watch a movie that looks and sounds good, but I’m utterly detached from the story at this point. This entire trilogy doesn’t, doesn’t count in my mind.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread