Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 14:33 (1588 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Both TFA and TLJ smack of a lack of understanding when it comes to the source material, and what Star Wars really is.

I would agree with Force Awakens. But not Last Jedi. It wasn’t about defying expectations for the sake of it. It told an achingly human and very “Star Wars” story. And what’s more it rang true. The fact that Luke grew over the course of the movie and beat Kylo in the most awesome Jedi pacifist way is a testament to that. It’s all there from the original trilogy! It’s a whole movie version of the cave on Dagobah.

That's a gppd point, and I did really like that part of the movie too. I also thought the final message of hope at the very end was quite powerful. Really, the biggest problem I have is that both hero and anti-hero adopt the "forget the past, kill it if you have to" mentality with little or no negative repercussion. That's a pretty anti-Star Wars message. They're saying "you are already enough as you are", rather than "you could be so much more than you are". The only character who really seams to learn anything of substance is Poe, but that gets undercut by the fact that his character is so different than it was in the previous movie (it makes things jarring when viewing the whole series).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread