I don't believe anyone's irredeemable. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:21 (1581 days ago) @ Kermit

Call me crazy.

I should have specified that it was their views that were irredeemable, not the individuals themselves. American History X is such a good film!

But Kermit's silence on the matter is deafening to me.

Just kidding, I'm sure he just hasn't gotten back online.

I've been hating Nazism since before you were born, whippersnapper. I don't have to prove anything to you.

I respect your intelligence, Nando, and I think we could have a interesting conversation about what we believe and why if we weren't under the stage lights of the internet, eager to deliver the next applause line.

No need, man. I'd hope that in a conversation where I ask you to denounce white supremacist speech, getting "ask me outside of the internet" as a reply really just says enough.

Ultimately, you think that speech isn't dangerous enough to be equated with violence. Fair enough, you haven't ever been personally targeted by hateful rhetoric, so why would you believe it happens to anyone else (unless you count those evil people waging a war against Christmas with their green Starbucks cups). Ultimately I believe in paying attention to the bubbles outside of my own, where acts of violence by emboldened white supremacists are becoming a more frequent thing.

But maybe you believe in the "troubled lone wolf" spiel, and the increasingly hateful speech has nothing to do with it. That's fine, but I don't believe that's the reality of the world, which is why it's really important to stand up against it. "First they came for" and all that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread