Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 15:11 (1582 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I have not said anything like "TLJ bombed". I have said several times that it made $700 million dollars less in theaters than TFA did. Any heads of any studio in charge of any franchise would look at a drop like that and worry. It didn't do poorly in a vacuum, but it didn't make the kind of money that Disney wanted it to. Remember, Star Wars is starting $500 million in the hole, as far as Disney is concerned (due to the whole "overpaying for the franchise" thing that Bob Iger discusses in his latest book). It's kinda like the whole Tomb Raider 2013 situation. The game sold very well (2 million units, I think?) but Square Enix had created such a financial mess around the game that they needed it to sell ~4 million for it to be considered successful. It's a crazy burden to put on any movie. But that's the situation Star Wars is in right now. Solo did bomb, so that made things worse.

Box office is not the only way a franchise makes money. Even beyond streaming, physical media, and TV, you can make toys and video games and books and shit.

Yeah, he's just saying that they're all struggling. But I haven't seen anything aside from passing comments that they're not doing well. Like I'm not even sure they're struggling yet, so I'm not even where I could be convinced that they've had to scramble based on what I thought was a vocal minority that disliked TLJ.= had to say.

I don’t know why you assume it’s a minority? $700 million less than TFA is a lot of tickets that didn’t sell.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread