Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 12:47 (1590 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You could say the same thing about this film’s willingness to throw Last Jedi out. They should have rolled with it. Last Jedi solved all the problems Force Awakens created. So move forward from that!

First of all, no. They couldn’t do that because as I already explained, TLJ did so much worse at the box office and pissed off so many fans that Disney couldn’t afford to move forward with it. They need to win back all the fans they alienated, and more of TLJ would not do that.

Also, I don’t know what “problems” you’re referring to. I have my complaints with both movies, but TFA sure as hell feels more true to Star Wars than TLJ does (not surprising, since TFA was a borderline remake).

Personally, I’d just like to see Star Wars in the hands of a team who understands what made it such an instant-classic to begin with. You can recreate that, and still do something “new”. Star Wars was itself a retelling of a traditional fairy tale story with a modern coat of paint. In a way, RJ and JJ made similar mistakes; they were both obsessed with “defying expectations”. JJ tends to take the approach of doing that by recreating known events but swapping characters’ positions around within them. RJ did it by taking characters that used to be a certain thing and then changing them into something else. Luke is the obvious example, but Poe is another. He is a completely different character in TLJ than he is in TFA. He goes from being the most trusted officer in the resistance to a “hot headed fly-boy who’s always thinking with his gun”.

Both TFA and TLJ smack of a lack of understanding when it comes to the source material, and what Star Wars really is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread