Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 11:22 (1585 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 12:00

Pretty much.

I am hugely disappointed in this new trilogy. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi both have some great moments, but both also have big flaws.

The Force Awakens “forgot” to do ANY work to set up what’s been going on since Return of the Jedi. We get entire star systems and fleets destroyed that we know nothing about. But, it also had a lot of fun and felt like Star Wars in a good way.

The Last Jedi has some huge pacing issues, and it took the strange line that what fans wanted was a disgruntled Luke and some larger commentary on how the Light vs Dark conflict might be less important to the galaxy than it is to our heroes. Now, I love some of that. The ideas that we learn through failure and that maybe the purely pious approach of the Jedi at their height was bad for everyone, but the movie took far too much of a left turn into side issues when I think most fans were ready to get to the meat of the heroes’ story. I’d totally enjoy a stand-alone Last Jedi with its “radical” take on things... but it wasn’t in a stand-alone position...

And now we have a movie that is stuck dealing with the disparity between the other two. It’s built on a wildly uneven foundation where it feels like two construction companies didn’t even agree on the building plans... but tried to build anyway. I’m kinda dreading Rise of Skywalker if only because the lack of vision and enforcement on the previous two movies has already doomed it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread