I don't believe anyone's irredeemable. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:39 (1561 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

No need, man. I'd hope that in a conversation where I ask you to denounce white supremacist speech, getting "ask me outside of the internet" as a reply really just says enough.

Ultimately, you think that speech isn't dangerous enough to be equated with violence. Fair enough, you haven't ever been personally targeted by hateful rhetoric, so why would you believe it happens to anyone else. Ultimately I believe in paying attention to the bubbles outside of my own, where acts of violence by emboldened white supremacists are becoming a more frequent thing.

But maybe you believe in the "troubled lone wolf" spiel, and the increasingly hateful speech has nothing to do with it. That's fine, but I don't believe that's the reality of the world, which is why it's really important to stand up against it. "First they came for" and all that.

There's plenty of people who have been targeted by hateful rhetoric that don't believe as you do. What then?

A bold claim, which would need to be backed with evidence. I'm eager to see it!

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread