Disney finally killed it (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 14:41 (1583 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You could say the same thing about this film’s willingness to throw Last Jedi out. They should have rolled with it. Last Jedi solved all the problems Force Awakens created. So move forward from that!

First of all, no. They couldn’t do that because as I already explained, TLJ did so much worse at the box office and pissed off so many fans that Disney couldn’t afford to move forward with it. They need to win back all the fans they alienated, and more of TLJ would not do that.

I think that TLJ did about the same at the box office comparison wise as Empire Strikes Back. It's not like the middle of a trilogy traditionally rakes in more cash than the first episode of one...

You're really leaning on this narrative that TLJ bombed and i'm just thinking, usually when a movie bombs they lose money on the proposition, instead of say... making approximately a billion in profit...

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but TLJ and Empire box office intake is not a fare comparison, because they didn't cost anywhere close to the same amount to make.

I have not said anything like "TLJ bombed". I have said several times that it made $700 million dollars less in theaters than TFA did. Any heads of any studio in charge of any franchise would look at a drop like that and worry. It didn't do poorly in a vacuum, but it didn't make the kind of money that Disney wanted it to. Remember, Star Wars is starting $500 million in the hole, as far as Disney is concerned (due to the whole "overpaying for the franchise" thing that Bob Iger discusses in his latest book). It's kinda like the whole Tomb Raider 2013 situation. The game sold very well (2 million units, I think?) but Square Enix had created such a financial mess around the game that they needed it to sell ~4 million for it to be considered successful. It's a crazy burden to put on any movie. But that's the situation Star Wars is in right now. Solo did bomb, so that made things worse.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread