Wow. (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 15:57 (1590 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 16:16

I live in fear of people that say things like you did. Today it's Nazi's. But tomorrow? Christians? Muslims? It is my strong belief that my religion will see me arrested or harmed within my lifetime. And, who draws the lines on who it is acceptable to punch? My line is: It is not acceptable to punish anyone until they commit a crime.

One of my favorite ideas about how to deal with bad speech says that you deal with bad speech not with violence but with good speech. People may say things you don't like. You're allowed to say things they don't like. So get together and organize so much good speech that you drown out the people with bad ideas. But you are not allowed to touch anyone. Once you do that, you're the bad guy.

That doesn't mean all speech is acceptable. But even the kinds that are not acceptable (inciting violence, causing a panic, etc) must rise to a extremely high bar or somebody (maybe it's you, maybe it's me!) will use something that the other person says to arrest or harm them unjustly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread