Whoa there (Off-Topic)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, December 20, 2019, 13:12 (1586 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

What happens when there are fluctuations in the availability of resources? Or disease epidemics? Local self-regulation of communities is certainly something that needs to take place regardless of scale, but beyond one's immediate community there needs to be some code that's agreed upon and followed; otherwise some group gets too powerful/stressed/hungry and we're right back to friction and falling upon each other. Broad-strokes description of humanity since time immemorial, so it's not saying anything new, but that's still a major thing that all of the smaller-scale community self-regulating isn't able to address.

~m

Beats me. Find out when it happens, I suppose.

I mean, sure. But isn't that basically what's happening now? We have concentric communities that drill down from nation-states to individual households. We can observe all sorts of these forces at any point on that spectrum, all skewed by whatever prevailing factors exist in that place. I agree with your take on how communities should police their own, but I'm curious as to how that gets codified at scale, because otherwise it's kind of just hoping the wind is polite enough not to blow individual piles of sand into each other, you know?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread