Radiant Materials (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 15, 2014, 10:34 (3441 days ago) @ Speedracer513
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 15, 2014, 10:38

Polygon just posted a very scathing opinion piece about how the recent changes in Destiny are designed to punish the hardcore players the most. It's a pretty interesting read, and while I am not nearly as bitter as the author, I unfortunately have to admit that there is some harsh truth in there.

Unfortunately, I know exactly why radiant materials were included in the game. All I have to do is look at my inventory. I have over 300 Ascendant shards right now. That means, upgrading armor is absolutely trivial. You need 84 shards to max out 4 pieces of raid gear, and if the gear required ascendant materials you'd basically already have 32s running around. I see no problem with that at all, but I just know Bungie did this to prevent quick progression in the expansion.

Same thing with commendations. It doesn't make much sense at first glance: I get around 2 faction level up per week on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less. You can earn at most 100 marks per week. It would look like you can earn more commendations than required to spend all your marks. So why include them?

Same reason. You could have 200 vanguard and crucible marks across your characters, (600 and 600), and go to town and gear up immediately. Again, i see no problem with that, but now you have to earn commendations which prevents you from buying gear right away.

It's 100% because there is so little content in the DLC, and Bungie needs to stretch it out rather than let you play the fucking game. The issue is 100% because of small DLC packs rather than full on expansions, or simply larger games with only sequels. heaven forbid we actually finish a game.

I will be playing much much less of Destiny in the future, simply because this writer is right: Destiny is a game hostile towards its players.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread