games with investment systems are NOT designed to be (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 19, 2014, 08:23 (3420 days ago) @ scarab

grind free.

By definition you are meant to invest your time in them.

Anyone who doesn't do that has managed to avoid the hooks built into the game and its economy. Well done them but they are not playing the game as it was designed.

Levi has said he plays a couple of hours a day, on average. (Barring weeks when he can't get online.)

To say that a couple of hours a day is 'not investing your time' is ludicrous. There are very, very, VERY few things that meet that level of commitment in my life. (My job, sleep, sometimes my family. That's it.)

He simply invests LESS of it than you. (Well, than you DID.) He is DEFINITELY playing the game as designed.

What I find interesting is the people who seem to enjoy Destiny the most tend to be people who don't use the word 'grind'. It's not a grind if you don't treat it as such - it's just playing. (You can tell me "if you do the same thing over and over it's a grind no matter what you call it", but I disagree with that argument. I eat every day (well, almost every day), but it's almost NEVER a grind to do so. There were times in my life, though, where eating took away from time for other things, and I resented it - and it WAS a grind. I didn't spend any more time on it than I do now - in fact, I spent less - but I saw that time in a completely different light.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread