asking the same question repeatedly and apparently (Destiny)

by scarab @, Friday, December 19, 2014, 10:21 (3437 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You say that you like exploring but I feel that the Alpha was enough to know the Cosmodrome and that I know: Moon, Mars, and Venus pretty well now. What things are you still discovering that we haven't noticed? How much of the maps do you think that you have left unexplored?

Given that this thread has pointed out, repeatedly, that Levi has played fewer than HALF the number of hours of the people arguing against him, this is a pretty unreasonable question.

No it's not. He has been playing for months and has said that he is still finding stuff, still exploring. So it is reasonable to ask him what is he finding and how much of the world does he think is still unexplored by him.

He has finished the story so he has visited every planet. They are big but not incomprehensibly big. He has a had a couple of hours per night with time off. So he has probably visited every area at least once. he must have some memory of what he has done and where he has been and some idea of what is left. It is not at all unreasonable to ask him what he is discovering and how much he feels is left undiscovered.

He's not discovering things you haven't noticed - he's discovering things you discovered months ago. The point is not that he's getting MORE out of the game than you are - it's that he's getting it at a slower pace, and avoiding many of the frustrations of the sprint.

It wasn't a sprint. It was just an attempt to try out what the game had to offer in terms of: gear, characters, play styles. It was definitely a marathon and not a sprint.

I say 'he' but I should say 'I' - my playstyle seems to match Levi's pretty closely, and my hours of play are even with (or maybe even a little less than) his. I haven't had much time at all to be on the internet this week, or last - so I missed most of this thread when it came around, and many others - but reading it as a block, now, makes me feel bad for Levi. He's not trying to insult anyone, but you're telling him he's being repetitive and not listening. He listens more than most here, I think, and he tries really hard to avoid both hyperbole and ad hominem attacks - he's probably the worst target for your ire you could have chosen. :(

Not every reference to a person's behaviour is an ad hominem attack. Ad hominems are logical fallacies because they are attempts to avoid engaging with a person's argument. But, for example, if a teacher prepares a school report and mentions that a pupil is disruptive at school that is not an ad hominem attack even though it is a direct reference to the person. It is the context that makes reference to someone's behaviour an ad hominem attack.

But, perhaps, you just meant a personal attack. As I said to Levi, I have nothing against him personally. He was just the guy who asked the question again and I know he has raised that point before so he was the one that I replied to. It could have been anybody who had asked that question a couple of times before.

Given that people are repeatedly asking, "why are you guys still playing X hours per week when you don't enjoy it" and people are constantly answering that question. It seems reasonable to wonder what is the point of answering again and to point out to the person asking that question that they have asked it before and it has been answered before. Review the previous answers.

If people have reviewed the previous answers and didn't find them satisfactory then they should say why they didn't find them satisfactory. That at least gives us something to base a reply on.

If there is anything that doesn't make sense about our behaviour it is probably down to a mistaken idea of how people work. Perhaps he thinks that people are rational. People who think that people are rational should do a psychology course then they wouldn't be surprised at the things we do. It would be nice (I think, not really sure about that) if people were rational but given how we came about it is to be expected that we would not be rational.

Stop thinking of humans as rational entities, consider our evolutionary baggage and constraints and then be impressed that jumped up monkeys can reason at all.

Anyway, back to Levi

I can see that I hurt his feelings and cut deeper than I intended. At the time I just thought that he was being too thin skinned, "I said that it wasn't personal so that should be enough". But I get the impression that Levi is genuinely upset that Destiny hasn't turned out so great for a lot of people. I think he is feeling rather raw and so can't shrug off stuff easily right now. So Levi, I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I can't say I didn't mean what I said but I didn't intend it to have such a large degree of impact to your feelings.

As to the future: I imagine that I will still gripe a bit about the game but, as I'm not playing it right now, I doubt that there will be as much bile directed towards it. The grind is not really so bad when you are not doing it. It's a relief to be free :-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread