Doing things that you don't want to do in a game is a grind (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 19, 2014, 11:07 (3437 days ago) @ scarab

It's not just a matter of thought control or attitude adjustment.

Killing 2 or more with fusion riffle twenty times over three characters - turning in the bounty - then getting a new bounty, "kill 2 or more with fusion riffle twenty times over"

that IS a grind.

Here, you and I totally agree.

I've done that bounty ONCE - and that was by accident. (Sort of. I took it by accident, and then couldn't bring myself to just abandon it, so I completed it. Didn't enjoy it at all, have never and will never pick it up again.)

I load up every time I play on bounties that will be completed by default in whatever activity I plan for that day. If I feel like a light romp, and think I'm just gonna patrol for a bit, I grab the 9000 experience without dying, the kill 20 enemies without taking damage, and the melee 30 enemies bounties. If I want to play a story mission, I see which ones have bounties associated with them, and grab the ones that sound enjoyable. If I'm going into the crucible, I grab the generic bounties (capture 10 control points, kill 25 titans, etc) and ignore the specific ones (kill 10 people with a sniper rifle, etc). And so on.

I rarely have to do anything outside of the normal play I was intending on engaging in anyway to complete the bounties in my inventory. And I LIKE playing that way. It's not grindy at all. (I suppose, by a pretty strict interpretation of 'grindy' as doing the same thing over and over again, my first stop every day in the tower, to pick up the bounties in the first place, could be considered 'grindy'... but I also use that time to chat with my playing partner or just get into the gameplaying mode if I'm alone; I don't really consider it a chore.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread