Reimagining "competitive" Destiny (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 16:34 (1682 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t see how you can say supers are anti-competitive.

1. The better team gets more supers over the course of a match.
2. Better players use their supers at better times, and use their supers more skillfully.

You get one shot by a super? Okay… but you have an opportunity to do the same to them.

If you don’t like all the supers, that doesn’t make them anti competitive. It just makes the game more about super management and less about primary shooting. But both types of games are competitive.

Did... did you actually ready my post? :)

The argument isn’t that “supers aren’t competitive”. I specifically described ways in which supers can fit into a competitive game. It’s that supers, as they sit in the current balance of game modes/map size/player count lead to matches where the majority of my deaths are caused by spawning into an enemy super.

Supers themselves are too inherently random in many circumstances. You can fire a blade barrage at a group of 4 people standing out in the open and somehow only kill 2 of them, and then you can fire another barrage at 3 enemies who are all behind cover, and yet they all die.

Then there’s the fact that while supers take *some* skill, they take less skill than anything else. Obviously. That’s why they’re supers. That’s the whole point. They’re supposed to give you an easy way to score a few kills quickly. And that’s fine. But if the goal of a game is to test the skill of the players competing, then anything that flattens that skill gap is anti-competitive, especially when they snowball and become the defining element of every single crucible match.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread