Reimagining "competitive" Destiny (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, August 12, 2019, 07:43 (1681 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think it might be interesting to change the rule of Supers for this new Competitive/Trials mode. Instead of “most players only get one Super per game” maybe it would be better to make it official. You get 1 Super per game. On top of that, just give that Super to players at the beginning. Leave it up players when best to use their Super.

I think that would be a cool experiment, at the very least. You get one Super for the whole match--use it immediately to get a good lead, or save it for later so you can make the clutch play on the brink of defeat. It would be really interesting.

I have a bit of an alternative suggestion here. Problem is it requires reworking the Super system specifically for comp. What if there were an absolute (and static) amount of super energy spread across all players at the start of a match, and based on kills/assists, there was a bit of a tug-of-war for that Light? You kill an enemy, they drop orbs in an amount either depending on the play (eg, more/bigger orbs for precision kills), or keep it simple and just say a player gets cleaned out when they die? Either way, a tug-of-war where players that play shrewdly and collect the most Light are the ones that get Supers. The ultimate point being that one team isn't going to be able to chain their supers and steamroll the game if there's only enough light across the board to have 2-3 active at any given time.

One of the reasons I didn’t get into discussions of specific changes to supers in my original post is that it’s tough to judge them in a vacuum. Trials of Osiris changed the dynamic of supers without changing the supers themselves at all. I’d argue that supers right now are overpowered in any context, but I think arguing over the nitty gritty details is putting the cart before the horse. Maybe Finishing Moves will turn out to be an excellent counter to roaming supers, and/or maybe their inclusion will introduce enough of a drain on our super meters that there will be fewer supers popping off all the time.

In the spirit of experimenting, I’d be very curious to see what a competitive Destiny game mode would be like if friendly fire was activated. Might rein-in the indiscriminate super spam :)

It would be nice if Crucible Labs were worked on a more frequent basis to consider certain mechanics like these. I don't see why tests of Comp mechanics wouldn't benefit from that treatment.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread