Reimagining "competitive" Destiny (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 19:57 (1682 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think it might be interesting to change the rule of Supers for this new Competitive/Trials mode. Instead of “most players only get one Super per game” maybe it would be better to make it official. You get 1 Super per game. On top of that, just give that Super to players at the beginning. Leave it up players when best to use their Super.

I think that would be a cool experiment, at the very least. You get one Super for the whole match--use it immediately to get a good lead, or save it for later so you can make the clutch play on the brink of defeat. It would be really interesting.

I too think that would be a cool experiment.

One of the reasons I didn’t get into discussions of specific changes to supers in my original post is that it’s tough to judge them in a vacuum. Trials of Osiris changed the dynamic of supers without changing the supers themselves at all. I’d argue that supers right now are overpowered in any context, but I think arguing over the nitty gritty details is putting the cart before the horse. Maybe Finishing Moves will turn out to be an excellent counter to roaming supers, and/or maybe their inclusion will introduce enough of a drain on our super meters that there will be fewer supers popping off all the time.

Anything that reduces bullshit deaths and/or adds a layer of skill and strategy around super usage is good with me :)

I understand where Cruel is coming from. There is always the strategy of when and how to use your Super. But they come so frequently (especially when you start chaining) that it almost isn't a consideration anymore.

I also see where you're coming from. Not every single moment has to be exactly even and fair. But I do think it's swung way to far in the "bullshit" direction. Activating a Super should be a power play, and it should give you and advantage. However, I do think that there should be some consideration behind activating a Super, rather it's current form of being an instant "I win!" button. Damage reduction while in Super needs to be pretty drastically lowered--some classes are damn near invulnerable in their activation animation, and that's the opposite of how it should be. Activating your super should be a brief moment of weakness before your power kicks in, so that it negates the panic activation that can save a player from certain death. It should have to be at least slightly strategic.

I also found the competitive Halo maps, sandbox, and load outs to be dull. I loved the expanded sandbox of big team battle. But as I’ve said before, even when things got crazy and chaotic, Halo rarely left me feeling like “there was nothing I could do”. Destiny gives me that feeling CONSTANTLY.

In the spirit of experimenting, I’d be very curious to see what a competitive Destiny game mode would be like if friendly fire was activated. Might rein-in the indiscriminate super spam :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread